[WikiEN-l] Correction to New Yorker Article

Rob Smith nobs03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 21:02:12 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:

>        <C2F697EE-9AF5-4917-A376-51E9C43F8DFA at prwatch.org>
>        <45E765B8.5050601 at earthlink.net>
>        <99c65f730703011756x711c74b5hf6835868850fd482 at mail.gmail.com>
>        <38a7bf7c0703011828r2452ff82xf20143d55ef9520b at mail.gmail.com>
>        <c52819d30703011830x4c0782d8i2aed75ac219fed6e at mail.gmail.com>
>        <38a7bf7c0703011834x28ee9bc6pfb914a3c444b94a7 at mail.gmail.com>
>        <52a8cf060703011842s2dca0df1qa405e56dda90650 at mail.gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 01:33:28 -0500
> --text follows this line--
> "Rob Smith" <nobs03 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 3/1/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

>       community.

> >> press, based on the blogosphere at least.
> >
> > Actually this matter has been brewing for some time. Amazing it
> took this
> > long to bring attention to it.
>
> True. It could've been discovered as far back as 7 January, if I
> may recount the timeline of events. It was 7 February that Essjay
> posted this:
> <http://www.wikia.com/index.php?title=User:Essjay&oldid=66549>
>
> On an interesting side note, it apparently wasn't until 21 January
> that anyone noticed - that was when an anon user brought it up on
> [[User talk:Essjay]]
> <
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Essjay&oldid=102161036
> >.
> Given the anonymity, the name provided as a sig, and the linked
> website, I think we can conclude it was in fact Daniel Brandt who
> first noticed it
> <http://www.whois-search.com/whois/216.60.71.100%20>.
>
> It is also interesting to note that Essjay never replied as
> [[User:Shanel]] quite quickly reverted it. (A lapse of judgement?
> I suppose so, in the same way Yanksox had a lapse of judgement
> deleting [[Daniel Brandt]]).

I'm not so certain of that; Yanksox registered an account with WR 23 Feb
2007 9:08am
<http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showuser=1014>

where he presumably read the series "Navigating flame wars of the Daniel
Brandt controversy" (two hours is ample time) and promptly deleted the
Brandt page on 23 Feb 2007 12:53pm.  Ken Myers, author of *Wikimmunity:
Fitting the Communications Decency Act to Wikipedia* registered an account a
day earlier 22 Feb 2007 and was active on that board for several hours at
the same time prior as well.

21st Feb 2007, 11:10pm

Yanksox deletes Daniel Brandt

Wed 21st Feb 2007, 4:10pm Ken Myers registers an account