[WikiEN-l] Correction to New Yorker Article

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 02:28:00 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Josh Gordon <user.jpgordon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I will consider criticism of Essjay particularly valid when it is
> accompanied by a general call to eliminate pseudonymous editing of
> Wikipedia. The vast majority of editors on Wikipedia are anonymous,
> and I'm sure they have their various reasons, but anyone whose persona
> is not congruent with their real personality is doing exactly what
> Essjay did, on one level or another.
>
> I don't expect a lot of support for this position, but it's the
> logical extension of the outcry against Essjay's charade.

I don't particularly feel like criticising Essjay on this point,
having roleplayed various pseudonyms online for various reasons
before.  Caught a lot of socially dumb early hackers that way back in
the day...

I will make two points, though:

One, as I've said before, it's easier to avoid some of the pseudonym
problems if you just use your real name.  I don't think there's any
cause to abolish pseudonyms, but I do suggest that people reconsider
using them.  My opinion is that use of real names does not in fact
bring any significant risk of real life consequences, and is simpler
and ultimately better for you and the project.

Two, keep in mind that anything you do related to Wikipedia may now
get viewed by a potentially hostile press and outside community.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com