[WikiEN-l] Correction to New Yorker Article

Rob Smith nobs03 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:52:50 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, fangaili at gmail.com <fangaili at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/28/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >     He was
> > >     described in the piece as "a tenured professor of religion at a
> > >     private university" with "a Ph.D. in theology and a degree in
> canon
> > >     law."
> >
> > Where did those claims come from? I haven't seem them anywhere before.
>

> My mistake, here
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Essjay/History1&direction=next&oldid=13506363
>

> -----
>
> I find the lack of discussion on this disturbing. Normally I would not
> post
> to the list, but I must say something. I have read the discussion on
> Jimbo's
> talk page (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#The_New_Yorker_quotes_you
> )
> and the linked pages. Some people are very concerned about Essjay's
> actions,
> but others think it is no big deal.
>
> I consider it a big deal. If Essjay had only misrepresented himself within
> Wikimedia, that would be one thing. But he also went outside the Wikimedia
> community and presented himself (several times) as someone he is not, with
> credentials he does not have.
>
> This can only damage Wikipedia's reputation, especially since Essjay is
> one
> of our most trusted users. It also damages the community, because some
> people will find it difficult to trust him, and the leadership that
> supports
> him (i.e. Jimbo).
>
> I have great respect for the work Essjay has done. However,
> misrepresenting
> himself to outside entities is simply unacceptable.
>
> I wish to know if the community will sweep this under the rug, or if we
> will
> discuss it before it gets buried in Jimbo's archives. Does anyone here
> care?

Well you have this, about 1 week before appointed to Arbcom

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Essjay&diff=prev&oldid=105988059#Pwned.21

"I love my job" after stating here "I've been pretty upfront about using
disinformation"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay/Archives/52#Profiles_don.27t_mesh