[WikiEN-l] Correction to New Yorker Article

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 1 18:43:24 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, fangaili at gmail.com <fangaili at gmail.com> wrote:
> I consider it a big deal. If Essjay had only misrepresented himself within
> Wikimedia, that would be one thing. But he also went outside the Wikimedia
> community and presented himself (several times) as someone he is not, with
> credentials he does not have.
> I have great respect for the work Essjay has done. However, misrepresenting
> himself to outside entities is simply unacceptable.

I agree. I find Ryan's behavior unacceptable and unconscionable.
However, I do not think it lies within Wikimedia's "jurisdiction", so
to speak. What matters only, from our perspective, is what Essjay is
doing or has done within the Wikimedia projects. If he ever
misrepresented himself to gain an advantage in an editorial dispute,
for example, that would be something that an ArbCom case would have to
take into consideration.

I'm simply saddened and disappointed ever since I learned about this.
I don't know what else there is to say.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic