[WikiEN-l] Scott McCloud on Wikipedia

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 1 00:47:52 UTC 2007

Sage Ross wrote:
> But if this suspension of AfD isn't driven by a specific reform
> agenda, but merely a discussion aimed at increasing the uniformity and
> predictability of the deletion process (in light of the waves of
> negative press for the last few months), it might be possible to avoid
> most of the potential backlash.

Perhaps another way to lessen the backlash while still motivating
discussion and change would be to put temporary moratoriums on
particular subject areas? In this case, for example, we could say "no
more webcomic-related AfDs for a month while we work on a better policy
to handle the subject area".

That way the people who fret about the dire consequences of not deleting
marginal articles as fast as possible won't feel quite so panicked by
the prospect of stuff accumulating for a month, and after the month was
over it'd be easier to survey the new arrivals that went unAfDed in the
meantime. Heck, it might allow time for articles that would normally be
deleted to improve to the point where they survive even without major
policy changes. That by itself would be useful.