[WikiEN-l] What To Do When Your Company Wikipedia Page Goes Bad

Tracy Poff tracy.poff at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 08:46:19 UTC 2007

On 6/29/07, Slowking Man <slowkingman at gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as data on professors' views of Wikipedia, I don't have anything
> at my fingertips, but I'm speaking more about a general principle than
> the current views of a majority of professionals in higher education.
> From personal experience, I /can/ state that in university courses, as
> well as some higher-tier high school courses (such as Advanced Placement
> in the U.S.), I've been explicitly told that encyclopedias and textbooks
> were not acceptable sources for research assignments.

Well, neither am I a professor, but I am a student, and I can tell you
that this isn't quite so, at least in mathematics. See Google
Scholar's list of citations for the CRC Concise Encyclopedia of
Mathematics (365 cites):

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&cites=8408216078967115677

or Hungerford's Algebra (430 cites):

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&cites=10309936628926851024

Granted, some of these may well be in 'further reading' sections or
such, but a fair number of them are from books and journal articles
citing things.

Tracy Poff