[WikiEN-l] Attack Site Wars, Episode VII... The Return of the Essjay

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jun 29 16:47:16 UTC 2007

michael west wrote:

>Next week we'll get a guy that felates his pet monkey on the japanese
>railway system "Monkey Blower",  it got 100,110 hits first week it went on
>YouTube, will we cover it? Probably yes until the guy gets arrested and his
>name comes out. We'll revert to earlier pages, a GFDL pic of him felating
>his monkey and some geo about the train system in tokyo and maybe a
>reference to it arousing intrigue (but not arousing the monkey)

This is the essence of a straw man argument:  Invent a situation that is
highly unlikely to be the basis for an article.  Make the fallacious
jump from something that wouldn't happen to something that shouldn't
happen.  Use that as an argument to thwart other articles that that
editor doesn't like.

Perhaps a criterion for notability could be the amount of time wasted
discussing the notability of something on Wikimedia, its mailing lists
and chat lines.  Once the volume of that discussion has reached 1
megabyte (or some other arbitrary amount) the subject will have become
notable.  If you really think that something is not notable you have no
reason to carry on at length about the subject.

Ec

P.S. This is not an invitation to people who want to game the idea to
unilaterally produce a megabyte of drivel on a meaningless subject.