[WikiEN-l] "Consensus"and decision making on Wikipedia

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:21:58 UTC 2007

On 6/28/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:

> This is easy to game.  Just find a situation where dropping the work of the
> hundreds of people is easy, but restoring it is orders of magnitude more
> difficult.  Drop their work and then claim a new "consensus" because it
> isn't restored.

In my view of things, the stability of the new system provides it with
a competitive advantage.  Short of applying some kind of compensatory
gearing, which I think would be unworkable, there is no way of
nullifying the advantage of simplicity.

There is a tension between this gradient towards simplification and
the natural tendency of thousands of individuals working roughly in
concert to produce byzantine complexity.