[WikiEN-l] Attack Site Wars, Episode VII... The Return of the Essjay

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Jun 29 01:30:37 UTC 2007

On 6/28/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 6/28/07, Rob <gamaliel8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > They
> > provide raw data, not information or context.  By repeatedly citing
> > the google search stats, you are (I assume) trying to justify the
> > existence of a Brian Peppers article on the grounds that he is a
> > noteworthy internet meme, so what is needed are reliable sources
> > establishing that he is in fact a noteworthy internet meme, not
> > sources that merely establish his existence as a person or a criminal
> > sex offender.
>
> No, I've never said anything about being an internet meme.  I frankly
> don't even know what the term means.

I looked into it a bit more, mostly in the [[meme]] article, and while
you could probably legitimately call just about anything an internet
meme, I'd more see something like "O RLY" or "first post" or whatever
the term is for fowarding stupid emails to everyone in your address
book is, as an internet meme.  I wouldn't really consider Brian
Peppers to be a meme, though like I said you could probably
legitimately argue for calling just about anything an internet meme.

Of course, [[Category:Internet memes]] seems to have a lot of articles
that don't seem to be much of internet memes either.  I guess the meme
of calling things an internet meme has evolved into uselessness, kind
of like the meme of calling people trolls.