[WikiEN-l] Attack Site Wars, Episode VII... The Return of the Essjay

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Jun 29 00:18:14 UTC 2007

On 6/28/07, Rob <gamaliel8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/27/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > > You keep alluding to other reliable sources, but I
> > > have yet to come across any.  What are they?
> > >
> > eSorn, the sex offender list, the court records, Fox Toledo...
>
> These are not encyclopedic sources.  What I mean by that is not that
> they are unreliable and thus should not be used, since they are
> obviously accurate as sources go.

So, when you said that "no one has yet to come up with anything
resembling a reliable source" what you meant was that we've come up
with lots of reliable sources, but that we haven't come up with what
you would consider multiple encyclopedic reliable sources?

With that amendment, I'm apt to stop disagreeing.

> What I mean is that they are not
> encyclopedic in the sense that they don't tell us anything about why a
> particular individual is worthy of an encyclopedia entry.

Google Trends tell us that.  Lots of people are searching for
information on Brian Peppers.

> They
> provide raw data, not information or context.  By repeatedly citing
> the google search stats, you are (I assume) trying to justify the
> existence of a Brian Peppers article on the grounds that he is a
> noteworthy internet meme, so what is needed are reliable sources
> establishing that he is in fact a noteworthy internet meme, not
> sources that merely establish his existence as a person or a criminal
> sex offender.

No, I've never said anything about being an internet meme.  I frankly
don't even know what the term means.

> In short, a reliable source establishing why *this
> particular* person should have an article, as opposed to all the other
> essentially anonymous people on the sex offender list or in Ohio court
> records.

The most reliable source for that is Google Trends.  This particular
person should have an article because lots of people are searching for
information about him.  If you want to call that "an internet meme",
that's your terminology, not mine.

Anthony