[WikiEN-l] What To Do When Your Company Wikipedia Page Goes Bad

Slowking Man slowkingman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 00:04:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 16:40 -0700, Cheney Shill wrote:
> Much like the consensus of colleges and professors, I'd say
> that I wouldn't trust a Wikipedia article as a reference.
> Let me know if that needs clarification.

I would certainly hope so, as no college-level work should be using
tertiary sources, whether Wikipedia, another encyclopedia (such as
Britannica), a textbook, or some other work, for cited information. As
background, and for help in directing one's research, it's fine, but
primary sources should be the primary (no pun intended) supply of
information, with secondary sources used as needed.

Of course, there's plenty of room for improvement in Wikipedia's
quality, but, regardless of what some of the general public seems to
think, Wikipedia is not the be-all-and-end-all of information, nor is it
intended to be.
--
Slowking Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Slowking_Man)