[WikiEN-l] "Consensus" and decision making on Wikipedia

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 08:31:41 UTC 2007

On 28/06/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't really see articles closed against the consensus, though.
> They seem to be closed with the consensus, after all, that's what a
> consensus is, basically a vote.  Occassionally something strange
> happens, but generally it's the vote.
>
> KP

Well, my point is that people are making decisions going by a majority or
"most people being in favour" (yes, essentially vote counting even if just
discussion comments), strong arguments during a discussion, etc. That's not
consensus (i.e. general agreement).

I'd really like people to stop using the word on Wikipedia, as most of the
time it is a falsehood and gives the image to people that there is general
agreement on Wikipedia - whereas in reality there seldom is.

Zoney
--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...