[WikiEN-l] Attack Site Wars, Episode VII... The Return of the Essjay

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 23:43:20 UTC 2007

On 6/27/07, White Cat <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also it is a beefed up slanderous article on an individual. Since Essjay
> isn't a public figure this (the article) borderlines harassment of an
> individual.

There are truly public figures, and people who've done something that
became widely newsworthy.

While Essjay may not be a public figure, he did something that was
evidently widely newsworthy.

You can spin this, and our community can decide to spin how we deal
with the situation, but the fact remains that what he did was widely
reported.

This is both good for the community ("Look, if we screw up, we make
the front page of the New York Times, we must have arrived!") and bad
for the community ("Look, ...").

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com