[WikiEN-l] Why are veterans so militant of late; The Future. (was Bus Uncle)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 12:54:16 UTC 2007

On 27/06/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I persist with this issue because I am still concerned about the stability
> of a project I have come to respect, and to believe in, very strongly. And,
> even more importantly, the community of persons who are devoting so much
> thought, time, and creative energy to it. If it fails, it will not be the
> result of something that happens from without, but, rather, something that
> does not happen from within.
> This is basic organizational stuff. I have seen well-intentioned, wonderful
> projects fail in the past for the very reasons I am trying to present here.

Trust me when I say that quite a few of us think about this *all the
time* ... I've been here three and a half years and I'm still getting
my head around what this creature is and how it does and doesn't work.

> One more volley: Like it or not - threatening to some or not; what's needed
> here is a strong leader.
> The ultimate fate of the Wikipedia Project will a part of only one person's
> legacy - not mine, and not yours.

Hmm. Jimbo has increasingly done things by the "occasional nudges of
influence" method, because day-to-day micromanagement just isn't
feasible.

Jimbo, ideas?

- d.