[WikiEN-l] Wikis in Plain English

Slowking Man slowkingman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 08:15:40 UTC 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dnL00TdmLY

Thoughts?

I'm not sure whether the interface they used was intentionally modeled
after an existing wiki package, or was just a generalized example. The
idea of prominent "edit" and "link" (for creating a new page) buttons
strikes me as more user-friendly, particularly for someone who's not
accustomed to the idea of a wiki.

Most of us probably know MediaWiki's syntax like the backs of our hands,
but I can see how it could be intimidating for a new user—particularly
on already well-developed articles, which tend to have wikitext
cluttered with tables and reference templates and all that. The toolbar
that Wikimedia wikis have doesn't really seem obvious, at least to me,
and it requires JavaScript.
--
Slowking Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Slowking_Man)