[WikiEN-l] BLP Just a quikie

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jun 27 06:22:23 UTC 2007

Mark Wagner wrote:

>On 6/26/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Since "Who's Who" is generally written with the cooperation of the
>>subject, one could generally assume that a DOB stated in that
>>publication is both accurate and OK by the subject.
>>

>I would not assume accuracy.  It's reasonably common for people to lie
>about their year of birth (less common for the day and month): see
>[[Age fabrication]] and [[WP:LAME#Dates]].

Sure, people lie about their birth data.  What proportion do you find
"reasonably common"?  If the "reliable source" that you use is really
reliable why would you not assume accuracy.  If you want to question the
DOB that they provide it's your responsibility to give sources for that
different data.

To an extent it's good to doubt everything, but you can take that too
far, and end up with the conclusion that there is no such thing as a
reliable source.

Ec