[WikiEN-l] WP Structure (Offshoot from: Admins shouldn't shoot back)

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Tue Jun 26 13:25:14 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell schreef:
> My fundamental question was, is, and will remain: who is actively overseeing
> the day-to-day growth of this organism with the wisdom, judgment, expertise
> and, yes, authority, to keep it in check?

Basically: we are. There are a few formal structures, like the ArbCom,
but they are too small to have any direct influence on Wikipedia. So the
day-to-day running of Wikipedia is done by us all, the editors.

> Without such active oversight,
> this growth will develop into a jungle - beautiful to observe, but
> impossible to navigate without a very sharp instrument.

That is a very good description of Wikipedia.

> PS: About a month or so ago, I proposed on this List to change the WP handle
> >from "The encyclopedia anyone can edit" to "Wikipedia: The Living
> Encyclopedia". The post got absolutely no responses.

I don't like it. Why should we change a phrase which we have grown
accustomed to, to a bland metaphore?

Eugene