[WikiEN-l] BLP Just a quikie

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 06:34:21 UTC 2007

On 26/06/07, michael west <michawest at gmail.com> wrote:
> WP:BLP seems to be the new crusade and of course I understand the reasons
> and largely support the concerns of BLP warriors. But aren't we going too
> far? The UK has a book called Who's Who?
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whos-Who-2007/dp/0713675276 which lists everything
> about notable people (they have much stricter rules about notability than we
> do!) in the UK and Commonwealth right down to their address. Because its not
> online some BLP warriors have removed details listed from in articles. Are
> we only now to use online references on Wikipedia?

It is online - Xrefer, or whatever they've renamed themselves, do
access. And there is nothing wrong with citing an offline source -
though I find myself baffled why anything in Who's Who, an anodyne and
effectively self-authored publication, could be considered
contentious.

If people are being stupid and screaming "BLP", the fault is with the
fact they're being stupid...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk