[WikiEN-l] Attack Site Wars, Episode VII... The Return of the Essjay

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 01:24:00 UTC 2007

On 6/25/07, Anirudh <anirudhsbh at gmail.com> wrote:

> the media coverage was because Wikipedia is a famous website, Essjay was
> not, is not. He came into limelight only because of the controversy
> created
> on the website.

Yep. That's why the article is called [[Essjay controversy]] and isn't
called "Essjay" or "(I'd put his real name here but someone would probably
scream "OUTING")" or "Essjay fraud" or any of the other half-dozen
pejorative titles that people came up with.

Would this piece be of any value after 10 years? I think not.

Who knows - 10 years from now Wikipedia could be another one of those
vaguely remembered, once trendy websites.  The subject of this article is no
less noteworthy than that of thousands of other articles that nobody has any
inclination to get rid of

It is a serious BLP violation and should be deleted. Imagine something like
> this having repercussions for the rest of your life for something which
> you
> did in your teens.

Umm..what BLP violations?  I'm hard pressed to find any violations in the
article right now, although I'll admit it was a very nasty battle to keep
some of that stuff out.

Risker

Sir Nicholas