[WikiEN-l] Blog Entries (Bauer fork)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 00:04:16 UTC 2007

On  0, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> scribbled:
> On 3/28/07, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What sort of editorial oversight do you believe is in place for an
> > > interview in a normal publication?
> >
> > The fact checker checks that you said it; the editor decides whether
> > or not the magazine or newspaper will fact a lawsuit if they print it.
> > The latter, in my view, is fairly critical.
> >
> > > As to the latter, there's no technical barrier for web publishers of any
> > > sort, blogs or magazines. The main protection is convention; in both
> > > realms it is customary to note changes on the page, and you risk
> > > ridicule if you don't do that. But the original text is not sacrosanct.
> >
> > It's better than nothing, though.
> >
> > > To overcome this would it be sufficient in your eyes to cite from the
> > > Internet Archive or WebCite?
> >
> > The odds of either of them actually catching some change on an
> > individual blog are very, very low.
> >
> > Jay.
>
> However, it's possible that, given a suitable request, Wikipedia could
> work with the Internet Archive to have them specifically archive
> anything that got used as a Wikipedia cite.
>
> I know a guy over there, but the decision to do it on a regular
> automatic basis would have to come from higher up in the organization.
>
> Jimmy, have you thought of this before?  Do you talk much to Brewster Kahle?....
>
> --
> -george william herbert

Actually, I am currently doing this but with [[WebCite]] instead of the Internet Archive; the only apparent way to request archiving with the Internet Archive is to go through Alexa, since Alexa is what actually supplies them with the spidered pages, and I haven't figured out a programmatic way of going through Alexa whereas WebCite makes it much easier.

Specifically, I have a little bot ([[User:Gwern/Archive-bot.hs]]) running right now which takes article names from one of the database dumps, downloads the WP article, parses out external links, and has WebCite archive them. Unfortunately, it's nowhere near real-time and is currently only up to [[450_in_Ireland]], but is better than the status quo.

--
gwern
Texas Panama CIA DES jihad fissionable quiche terrorist World Trade Center