[WikiEN-l] WP:FICT rewrite

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 25 19:54:55 UTC 2007

SonOfYoungwood at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 6/25/2007 1:35:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
>cunctator at gmail.com writes:
>
>THANK  you. This is the type of unhelpful guideline that only serves to
>encourage  people to delete well-written, interesting, and useful content
>from  Wikipedia because they personally don't like it.
>
>Actually, the WP:FICT rewrite strongly discourages deletion and highly
>suggests using other methods, such as merging, transwiki, or cleanup. The fact  of
>the matter is that notability on Wikipedia is established by coverage in
>secondary sources. With respect fo fiction, secondary sources cover
>out-of-universe information. Therefore, for fiction to be encyclopedic, it has  to have
>out-of-universe information either in the article or available (proof  should be
>provided). It's not about "interesting" material or material people  "don't
>like".

The whole exercise seems to be devoted to substituting one version of
bafflegab with another, although I dod note that a section in the
current guideline encouraging people to be bold is being completely
excised.  What people need to know about an article on fiction is that
it is in fact fiction.  That is all we need to know about whether
something is in or out of our universe.  We need to keep things simple.
We need to recognize that many minor characters and incidents probably
don't have enough information available to warrant a full article, but
we need to approach that with great flexibility.  Some small incidents
like the knocking at the gate in "Macbeth" can have a lot of unexpected
dimensions.

Ec