[WikiEN-l] Troll, troll, troll

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Mon Jun 25 16:43:31 UTC 2007

Basically we take the internet meaning. A troll is someone who tries to make trouble in an on-line context. "Troublemaker" is a synonym. We are familiar with people who are aways trying to start an argument. Pit people against one another. It has to do with bad faith. A troll, will sometimes take a position they don't hold just to set everyone else off. Sometimes this behavior is uncontrollable but most people who have it in their repertoire are aware of it and can avoid it. If it weren't so common and disruptive we wouldn't have to have a word for it with the potential for misuse.

Fred