[WikiEN-l] Separate articles for U.S. villages and towns

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Mon Jun 25 12:31:05 UTC 2007

On 25 Jun 2007 at 02:26:22 +0000 (UTC), Benjamin Esham
<bdesham at gmail.com> wrote:

> In any context other than a strictly legal one, however, both the town and
> village are simply "Geneseo", and I believe that Wikipedia should reflect
> that fact with a single unified page.

I grew up in (the town of) Poughkeepsie, New York, and there, the
town and city of Poughkeepsie are recognized by everybody as distinct
things, culturally as well as legally.  However, there's still some
blurring; I see the article on [[Poughkeepsie (city), New York]]
mentions the IBM plant in the "Industry" section, when that is
actually in the Town of Poughkeepsie.  When locals reflect on what's
significant about Poughkeepsie to the rest of the world, they tend to
blur together things in the city and things in the town (and maybe
sometimes even drag in things in adjacent towns like Wappinger and
Hyde Park), but when thinking locally they recognize the
distinctions.

--
== Dan ==