[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia as a cult

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 01:43:12 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> on 6/24/07 8:54 PM, michael west at michawest at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> To Steve and Gabe the Count reference was unfair as an analogy.
>> Secondly, communism is about discussing policy, but how many lowly editors
>> ever get heard above the BOOMING voices of long established administrators
>> and beuracrats on policy/guidline talk pages, who often snuff out comments
>> with a nonsense or I formulated this ;-)
>>
>> Marc, people do get a lot out of Wikipedia thats why many of us are still
>> contributing. But editing goes far beyond the encyclopedia anyone can edit.
>> It only become the encyclopedia anyone can edit after you have studied
>> policy for 3 years. disgruntled first, second, third time edits will revert
>> to vandalism unless we handle new and experienced editors much better than
>> we do now.
>>
>> Mike33
>>

> Mike, I understand better where you are coming from. The title of this
> thread should have been "WP as a culture" (you left off the last 3 letters
> :-)). And yes, how persons are treated within the WP Community has been a
> topic of discussion for some time now. Perhaps someday that discussion will
> become serious - with some serious, positive results.
>
> Marc

>>> about

>>> Wikipedia

>>> sense).

>>> small

>>> down

>>> editors

>>> Wikipedia is

>>> clubroom

>>> is

>>> tend to

>>> It's true! Wikipedia *is* communism!
>>>
>>> (I'm thinking we should have a pageg about that. [[WP:COMMUNISM]].)
>>>
>>> Also, someone mentioned editcount. See [[WP:COUNT]]. ~~~~
>>>
>>> --
>>> Absolute Power
>>> C^7rr8p£5 ab£$^u7£%y

And hopefully that discussion will include some talk about the
pernicious amount of OWNership that goes on. Quite often, if you haven't
already been contributing to a page for quite a while, you'll be
summarily reverted if you edit the article and ignored if you post to
talk. I've also noticed some Wikiprojects, or at least some members,
being particularly bad about thinking that articles in their area are
"theirs". Wikiprojects don't OWN articles any more than any individual
does, the community as a whole does. I recall seeing a comment at an AfD
I recently closed, something to the effect of "This needs to run another
five days, Wikiproject Chemistry wasn't notified!" and shaking my head
in disbelief. Wikiproject Chemistry doesn't decide what happens to that
article (nor should they be CANVASSed so that they de facto can), the
whole community does. (As it was, it was kept anyway.)

This is, of course, only something one person said, and may not at all
reflect the actual viewpoint of most in Wikiproject Chemistry. But it
certainly reflects the "Hey, this is OUR turf!" mentality that happens
all too often.

In another case, where the use of binary vs. decimal prefixes for data
capacities was being debated, it was frequently asserted that
"contributors" to an article should have the final say, "contributor"
defined as someone who's made a substantial number of edits to it. Talk
about having it exactly backward-anyone who makes a good-faith,
non-vandal edit to an article is a contributor to said article. This is
another example of the nasty, pernicious, "my turf" attitude.

There are countless others-the relentless hostility toward those who cut
or delete (does anyone know what "editor" actually means?), reverting
new contributors who make poor but good-faith edits instead of educating
them, and the list goes on and on and on.

I hope we can come up with a solution to this at some point. We're sure
in need of one. Maybe we could start by placing this notice at the -top-
of the edit page, in bold, red, 40-point type:

"If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly or
redistributed by others, *do not submit it*."