[WikiEN-l] Blog Entries (Bauer fork)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 14:57:41 UTC 2007

On 3/28/07, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Not really. Blogs have no editorial oversight, and their contents are
> > > ephemeral - that is, they can change without notice, leaving evidence
> > > of that change.
> > >

> > What sort of editorial oversight do you believe is in place for an
> > interview in a normal publication?
>
> The fact checker checks that you said it; the editor decides whether
> or not the magazine or newspaper will fact a lawsuit if they print it.
> The latter, in my view, is fairly criticial.
>
> > As to the latter, there's no technical barrier for web publishers of any
> > sort, blogs or magazines. The main protection is convention; in both
> > realms it is customary to note changes on the page, and you risk
> > ridicule if you don't do that. But the original text is not sacrosanct.
>
> It's better than nothing, though.
>
> > To overcome this would it be sufficient in your eyes to cite from the
> > Internet Archive or WebCite?
>
> The odds of either of them actually catching some change on an
> individual blog are very, very low.
>
> Jay.

Why would that be? The Internet Archive might not store all revisions,
but once on their servers, the archived copy doesn't change. WebCite
could store all revisions as it works on-demand - all you would have
to do is request it to archive each version as it changes, and as
before, the copies don't change once archived. That's the entire
point.

--
gwern