[WikiEN-l] Admins shouldn't shoot back

Gracenotes wikigracenotes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:18:02 UTC 2007

On 6/21/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:

> on 6/20/07 11:09 PM, Gracenotes at wikigracenotes at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On 6/20/07, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> That works with a literate audience.  The people who don't realize that
> >> you're joking can take things to a completely different level.  English
> >> humour doesn't always work with an American crowd.
> >
> > I would almost like to protest your classification of American
> > crowds as dense, but... eh... we are. It would not be entirely
> > untrue to say that the key to humor here is not making the
> > right material, but finding the right crowd for it.
> >
> Gracenotes & Ray,
>
> Since the material in question was posted here, how would you classify
> this
> List's audience?
>
> Marc

I thought we were progressing into general discussion about
American humor vs. British humour, rather than discussion
about this list in particular. Wikipedia has, by far, the most
thoughtful, intelligent, perspicuous, and witty people I have
had the fortune to interact with. The mailing list, despite its
mud (and -slinging), has by large not proved to be an
exception. Now, while responsibility is imperative, the
"internets are serious business" attitude can ruin a good
project (this has been noted by people other than me as
well, especially in MfDs of *gasp* humorous pages).

--Gracenotes