[WikiEN-l] Changing the AfD process (Was: Re: [[Daniel Brandt]] is gone again)

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 05:14:02 UTC 2007

Yes, cataloging is the basic way of discrimination about what's
important. We see what's there and we sort it out. As we are
interested into providing an encyclopedia for reading as well as
reference, and not just a biographical database, we need to sort
biographies into manageable units, which means selecting the ones
important enough to any significant group of the users of the
encyclopedia to be worth the attention. We are not writing it as a
Book of judgement, we are writing it just as a non-authoritative
online encyclopedia for the purpose of being used. We are not judging
DB, or anyone else. We are recording what is said about people for the
befit of those who will read it.

Some of the arguments here seem to be taking WP too seriously. We want
to be used, so we want to be --and be perceived as being -- objective,
and fair, and reasonable, and unprejudiced  and uncensored. Those are
the principles on which we should form our ethics.

> geni wrote:
>
> >> I think it's good that we recognise that there is an ethical question
> >>involved in such an act.  It isn't as neutral an act of cataloguing as
> >>we sometimes like to pretend.
> >>

> >Cataloguing runs into the "wikipedia is not an indiscriminate
> >collection of information"
> >
> What's indiscriminate about cataloguing?
>
> Ec

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.