[WikiEN-l] Changing the AfD process (Was: Re: [[Daniel Brandt]] is gone again)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 00:11:47 UTC 2007

On 6/21/07, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> Questioning the legality is avoiding the question.  I don't put that
> information on my web page, either, and that's completely legal.

Eh under UK law there are some potential civil issues but that is a
matter for you and anyone else involved.

> By "WP:V" I assume you mean the verifiability policy.  Well in many
> cases information about relatively private people is quite verifiable,
> because it appears in medical case studies and in newspapers.  A
> person's name is splashed all over the newspapers because he survives
> the Virginia Tech massacre.  Do we put his name into the encyclopedia?

That would rather depend on the context. We mention that John Hopgood
was hurt by an exploding cannon although it appears that history
records nothing else about the man.

>  I think it's good that we recognise that there is an ethical question
> involved in such an act.  It isn't as neutral an act of cataloguing as
> we sometimes like to pretend.

Cataloguing runs into the "wikipedia is not an indiscriminate
collection of information"

We are however meant to be writing a neutral encyclopedia and that
means writing it in a neutral manner.

--
geni