[WikiEN-l] Deleting over 45000 items

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jun 20 21:44:23 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Sean Barrett wrote:
> > It is entirely untrue that "spoiler warnings were deleted en masse by
> > one or two people using automation software without reading the articles
> > they were in."
>
> If you assume it takes a minute per article, 45000 articles is 750 hours of
> nothing but reading Wikipedia articles.  And the number 45000 is only the
> last number we have; it isn't really the total.
>
> It's impossible to read all those articles.  It *had* to be done without
> reading the articles (and certainly without achieving consensus on each
> article individually.)

If you assume the "one or two people" part is correct.  However, I
just checked 4 articles on movies and found 4 different people
removing the tag: Tony Sidaway, Eclecticology, David Gerard, Zoz.  Add
myself to the list and we're already up to five people.

I can't speak for the others, but when I removed the tag I was not
using automation software.  I certainly didn't read the entire article
each time though, and I don't see any reason why I should have to.