[WikiEN-l] Deleting over 45000 items

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jun 20 16:17:13 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> [[Wikipedia_talk:Spoiler]]
>
> Is it really fair to delete 45000 spoiler warnings and claim that the failure to
> undelete them is "consensus"?  (Especially when it turns out there actually
> were hundreds restored, but they kept getting deleted anyway)

No, absolutely not, just as it isn't fair to add 45000 spoiler
warnings and claim that the failure to delete them is "consensus".

> This is not the dead issue people have claimed it is, and 45000 is just the
> last number anyone's bothered to count.  It seems blatantly obvious to me
> that nobody's going to be able to restore 45000 spoiler warnings; deleting
> them is easy, but restoring one is impossible without reading the whole
> article to figure out where the right place for them is.  Particularly
> without AWB-like software.  And creating "consensus" by unilaterally making
> an impossible-to-reverse mass change should disturb anyone, regardless of
> their opinion on spoiler warnings.

"Creating consensus through unilateral action" doesn't disturb me, but
saying that an issue as contested as spoiler warnings has a consensus
for any particular position does.