[WikiEN-l] Deleting over 45000 items

Brock Weller brock.weller at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 15:46:05 UTC 2007

The correct place for them is not in an article. We are a free-content
encyclopedia above all else, and should remain encyclopedic. A spoiler
warning is a rather juvenile artifact of culture. I could see it on usenet
or forums, but if someone came to an encyclopedia, then they should expect
information. We are not here to coddle people, we are here to be useful.

There are some things consensus can't trump, foundation policy and the core
values we keep (the 5 Pillars page give a nice overview). No matter how much
the fanboys want to try and assert some OWNership of stories about their
chosen work, they dont get to flout the encyclopedia part.

On 6/20/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:

> [[Wikipedia_talk:Spoiler]]
>
> Is it really fair to delete 45000 spoiler warnings and claim that the
> failure to
> undelete them is "consensus"?  (Especially when it turns out there
> actually
> were hundreds restored, but they kept getting deleted anyway)
>
> This is not the dead issue people have claimed it is, and 45000 is just
> the
> last number anyone's bothered to count.  It seems blatantly obvious to me
> that nobody's going to be able to restore 45000 spoiler warnings; deleting
> them is easy, but restoring one is impossible without reading the whole
> article to figure out where the right place for them is.  Particularly
> without AWB-like software.  And creating "consensus" by unilaterally
> making
> an impossible-to-reverse mass change should disturb anyone, regardless of
> their opinion on spoiler warnings.

-Brock