[WikiEN-l] Trojan admins, is it a real problem?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jun 20 12:42:02 UTC 2007

On 6/19/07, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:
> Slim Virgin wrote:

> >> Those could have been grabbed before they were deleted. Just snarf up
> >> everything that has an AFD/prod/speedy tag on it and stick it on
> >> Wikitruth if it does get deleted.
> >>

> > They're not being grabbed before deleted. Wikitruth is run by people
> > with admin accounts on Wikipedia.
> >

> Could you say more about the evidence for that?
>
> With 1200 admins, it seems equally plausible to me that there are ones
> that are willing to give copies of deleted revisions to anybody who has
> a reasonable reason for wanting to know.

I took it for granted (from the description by Sarah) that some of the
stuff Wikitruth was obtaining using this admin access was the kind of
information that any admin would know not to give out.  You know,
stuff like admin addresses and phone numbers and crap.

If all they're doing is republishing articles like [[Brian Peppers]]
and [[Encyclopædia Dramatica]], then I fail to see what the big deal
is in the first place.