[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Ilmari Karonen nospam at vyznev.net
Tue Jun 19 12:13:47 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

> I am not the one wikilawyering.  Yes, the IP addresses are blocked by
> policy.  That is pretty much indisputable.  If your only comment is
> that Charlotte *knew* the IP addresses were blocked, I don't think you
> need to look at this AfD to know that.  Of course Charlotte knew the
> IP addresses were blocked.  The question is whether or not Charlotte
> knew that it was wrong to edit using them anyway.

This seems pretty disingenious.  The message normally shown when one
tries to edit via a blocked Tor node, [[Template:Tor]], says:

   "This IP address has been blocked because it is believed to be a Tor
   network open proxy.  To prevent abuse, editing Wikipedia from these
   proxies is prohibited."

For an analogy, imagine you wanted to get into a building and, for some
reason, didn't want to use the door.  So you try to climb in through a
window, but it's barred, with a sign saying: "Entering the building
through windows is forbidden!"  So you try another window, and it too is
barred with a similar sign.  You try a couple more, and they're all
barred.  Then finally, you find a window that's ajar and has no sign.
Would you conclude:

  a) that entering through *this* window is perfectly acceptable, or
  b) that the signs you saw previously in fact apply to *all* the
     windows, but someone simply forgot to bar this one?

--
Ilmari Karonen