[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Tue Jun 19 01:31:44 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 18/06/07, Eagle 101 <eagle.wikien.l at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The primary reason for blocking proxies of any kind is to make sock
>> puppetry very difficult.
>
> Not really - the primary reason is that open proxies are
> overwhelmingly used for vandalism and trolling, not merely
> sockpuppetry (though that too).

Sure.  But this still begs the question, that we've been dancing
around for a couple of days: is it the case that if a sysadmin
leaves a proxy open, we will block *it*, or that if a Wikipedia
editor uses an open proxy, we will block *him* (or her)?

Is a good-faith user of an open proxy guilty of anything?
(Some will and have already said "yes", but is that the
right answer?)