[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:23:08 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Gracenotes <wikigracenotes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There you go again: assertions with no evidence. It's a demonstrable
> > fact that many non-vandalism blocks, and possibly most, are punitive,
> > whatever happier word we prefer to describe them as. Spend a day
> > checking out the block log and you'll see it for yourself. The
> > argument goes that punishment is part of prevention, and that's true
> > to an extent, but it doesn't make the blocks any less punitive.
>
> The most important part is not that the blocks actually are
> preventative, but the thought process that goes into making
> them considers the preventative, not punitive.

Okay, but now you're very much into wild speculation, because neither
of us has access to the mental states of the blocker.

> The ideology
> that produces the action, not the action itself. That is my
> point.

You just keep repeating what the ideology is. If the block log shows
otherwise, you say "that doesn't count, because they're actions"?

> (Banning is an exception to this rule, but that's why
> it's a separate policy.)

It's not just a separate policy, and that's not why it's separate.
It's a different concept.

> > Prescription is bad when it's based on unrealistic ideological baggage
> > that gets in the way of common sense.
>
> Civility, assuming good faith, and ignoring all rules are all part of
> unrealistic ideological baggage that baffle common sense.

I disagree. They make a lot of sense, and are far from unrealistic.
You do the first two many times every single day in real life.