[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Slim Virgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:17:42 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Sheldon Rampton <sheldon at prwatch.org> wrote:
> Jayjg ... added ominously that *someone* has been
> leaking information about deleted pages to Wikitruth.

There's no question that someone with at least one admin account
posted deleted material to Wikitruth. How else do you imagine it got
there?

> To embellish it with ad
> hominem references to unrelated topics such as WR and WikiTruth takes
> it into tinfoil hats territory.

You might want to take into account that there are issues you're not
aware of. And the "tinfoil hats" insult is unhelpful.

> There's
> probably no way to prevent someone from getting admin status and
> using it indefinitely for purposes that CANNOT be visibly connected
> to their user name (such as looking up deleted pages).

As I said earlier, your argument is like that of an airline that
withdraws all security measures because 100 percent security is
impossible.

We can't prevent it, but we can make it harder.