[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 22:09:25 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> > This shows an astonishing ignorance of the effects that a person's
> > comments can have on another.
>
> It doesn't make jayjg's statement any less true, however.  Regardless
> of whether he should have acted as he did, there is no breach of
> privacy involved, unless you extend the definition of privacy to go
> beyond real-world identities, which I think is a bit of a stretch.

It's information which, though not specifically protected by WP
privacy policy (either meta or en-specific), obviously a wide variety
of people are upset to have widely disseminated.

Again: I think the info release met the letter of the current CU and
general privacy policies.  The gap is that the spirit of those
policies and community expectations are stricter than that.

If the new expectation going forwards from this is that everything not
specifically and explicitly protected by WP privacy policy is free
game for people to reveal on a whim, then there's a serious problem on
several levels.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com