[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jun 18 20:18:29 UTC 2007

> On 18/06/07, Eagle 101 <eagle.wikien.l at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The primary reason for blocking proxies of any kind is to make sock puppetry
> > very difficult.
>
> Not really - the primary reason is that open proxies are
> overwhelmingly used for vandalism and trolling, not merely
> sockpuppetry (though that too).

Wikipedia attempts to do the impossible, create a site that anyone can
edit except those who are banned, without placing any barriers to
entry for those who aren't banned.

Proxies are banned to try to accomplish this impossible task.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but that's how I see it.

I wonder what will happen to Wikipedia's block policies if IPv6 ever
becomes a reality.