[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jun 18 19:22:32 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/18/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nevertheless, the pertinent issue
> > is whether it is against policy to edit through open proxies.
>
> I think the most pressing issue is not the policy thing, but that
> someone who wanted adminship was very keen to ensure that no one, not
> even the Foundation, could find out anything about them. Not even the
> location s/he edits from, or the ISP.
>
> Perhaps we should focus on that question: do we want any kind of
> minimum accountability from admins, or do we not care who they are, or
> that one person might easily be controlling multiple admin accounts?
>
> If we do want minimum accountability, how do we get it?  If we don't
> want minimum accountability, are we willing to accept the consequences
> e.g. that it's currently easy for a  banned or malicious user to get
> adminship, not just once, but multiple times?

I'd support requiring admins to provide their real identity to the
foundation.  In fact, I'd support making everyone who provides their
real identity to the foundation an admin, at least unless they prove
to be unworthy of such a position.

I don't think there's a consensus support for either, though.