[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

Josh Gordon user.jpgordon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 15:53:48 UTC 2007

> Yes, but are good edits through an open proxy an offense per se? That
> is the one that's a new one to me.

Me too. If I'd considered it an offense per se CW would have been blocked
months ago (and lots of other otherwise good editors). I've always erred on
the side of "no harm no foul" rather than automatic invocation of rules,
given that the rules are to prevent vandalism and disruption rather than to
prevent the specific behavior; on frequent occasions, I made the judgment
call that even though I'd found an open proxy due to a checkuser request, if
the list of users on that open proxy was overwhelmingly legit uses, I
wouldn't block the proxy. CW was almost invariably one of the legit users
that would lead me to this decision; I did not understand this usage, but in
the absence of abuse (or in the case of a single instance of abuse), I felt
no call for action. It's possible this selective enforcement of the rules
sent the wrong message, at least by default.

--
--jpgordon ∇∆∇∆