[WikiEN-l] Editing with open proxies

ElinorD elinordf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:54:57 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

> I took a quick look at the RfA and I didn't see anything about the
> policy beyond the fact that TOR IP addresses are routinely blocked.
> In fact, considering that the first 55 votes are all support votes it
> seems to me that anyone reading that page would assume that there is a
> clear consensus that there is *not* a policy banning people from
> editing using TOR.  Armedblowfish came right out and said that ey
> intended to do it, and 55 people unanimously agreed that it was an
> acceptable thing to do.  Seems to me like a clear consensus that it's
> perfectly OK to edit Wikipedia using TOR.

The first 55 votes were not all support votes. At the time that she voted,
there had been 55 support votes and 31 oppose votes. So we certainly didn't
have anything like unanimous agreement that it was acceptable. This is the
URL for the page version at the time that she supported Armedblowfish

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/Armedblowfish&oldid=135948709

Take a look at oppose votes numbers 4, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18,
19, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 (and the threaded discussion) from the
page at the time that Charlotte posted there. They are the votes that
explicitly mentioned the fact that the use of open proxies was a violation
of policy. There were other oppose votes that mentioned the open proxy issue
without stating that it was a violation of policy. There had even been some
support votes and some neutral votes that mentioned the policy.

Now, I don't use open proxies. If I skimmed through a page prior to voting,
and saw some oppositions based on the use of open proxies, I might not be
sufficiently interested to stop in my tracks and investigate what was being
said, and follow the link to read the policy page. But if I were using them,
even innocently and in complete ignorance of the policy, and I skimmed
through that page, it's inconceivable that I wouldn't want to find out more.

So unless Charlotte supported an RfA without even glancing at the previous
comments, nine days before accepting her own admin nomination, it's most
unlikely that she didn't know that there was some kind of problem with
regard to a violation of policy here.

Elinor