[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia, a world without borders with borders?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:59:53 UTC 2007

On 6/17/07, b m <shoombooly at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks geni
>
> but this raises more questions...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Non-free_content#Other_Wikimedia_projects
> that section states that "some projects never accept fair use"
> that seems contradictory to what geni just said. Is that because there has
> been legal trouble in the past? Or to prevent trouble in the future? It
> seems odd to me that on the same website/domain there are different image
> use policies.

Different projects have slightly different ideologies with regared to freeness.

> As for the low quality content on NL, i agree that EN was conceived a couple
> of years earlier, but the Dutch wiki has over 300k articles, that's a number
> that suggests a large userbase, and high quality. But as i demonstrated, an
> article about the most famous scientist of the last 100 years cites 0
> sources. I believe that is wrong. On the Dutch wiki the image use policy is
> enforced with vigor, but the "citing references" issue is hardly addressed.
> I think that is wrong.

Look at any en article below that level of significance

> I agree that Jimbo can't interfere with every wiki in every language, -but-
> the Dutch wiki is in the top 10 of wikis in size. And i believe that on
> other large wikis the same issue applies. The German wiki is second in size,
> and has only 3 references in the article about Einstein.
> Wouldn't it be reasonable is there was something of a rapporteur to the
> board for the larger wikis, so that at least the top 10 wikis look generally
> the same?

Possible but there is the question of why any wiki would be crazy
enough to want this. Foundation interference in not an unalloyed good

> The Dutch wiki gets a fair amount of press coverage, it would be a
> shame if it were negative press, would't it?

We do not exist to keep the press happy.

> As for NPOV, I have seen more examples of the sort on various articles, even
> about animals. Some articles echo a sort of "Greenpeace" sound, whether it
> be deliberate or not. The Dutch wiki also has no template for "this article
> is written like an advertisement". Not because they had no time to make one,
> but because for some reason, they have no desire for it.

So make one.

> My question, can, and is it desirable, that Jimbo or some other official
> intervenes?

Outside some rather extream conditions no.
--
geni