[WikiEN-l] Policy adoption (was Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser ...)

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Mon Jun 18 12:22:47 UTC 2007

On 18 Jun 2007 at 01:54:36 -0700, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
wrote:

> The entire policy adoption process is remarkably fucked up. It favours
> the policy wonks with private agendas who have the time and tenacity to
> ensure that their favorite views will prevail.  The corpus of our
> policies (including guidlines and other pseudo policies) is so huge that
> it becomes easy for anyone to plant a policy virus whose infective
> nature will not be noticed until much later.  At that point the
> supporters of a change can offer nothing but a glib response to the
> effect that you should have said something about it earlier, because now
> that it has been here so long it can only be changed if a consensusto
> change  is first achieved.  If it can then be transferred to meta ...

"You hadn't actually gone out of your way to call attention to them,
had you?  I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display..."

"On display?  I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find
them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flashlight."

"Ah, well, the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But, look, you found the notice, didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did.  It was on display in the bottom of a
locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the
door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.'"

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

--
== Dan ==