[WikiEN-l] Policy adoption (was Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser ...)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 18 08:54:36 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

>On April 13, 2006, the text of [[Wikipedia:No open proxies]] was
>changed from the descriptive "Users using open or anonymous proxies
>are currently not allowed to edit Wikipedia." to the prescriptive
>"Users are prohibited from editing Wikimedia projects through open or
>anonymous proxies."  The edit was made by User:Pathoschild and the
>summary of the change was "Updated policy from the Meta-Wiki".
>
>I'm not sure what that means and whether or not the change was ever
>discussed, but it seems to me that this was the point where the policy
>changed from one that allowed blocking of the IP addresses used by
>proxies into a policy against using those proxies.

This repeats what I said on Meta in response to Elian.

This begs the question, "Who's policy is this?"  I can appreciate your
understanding that it was copied one day from the English Wikipedia, but
at the same time there is a notice on en:wp not to make changes there,
because any human changes will be overwritten by a bot when changes are
made on meta.  It has also been made clear that this is not a Foundation
policy.  Slim Virgin asserts that the policy should not be changed
before there is a consensus, but I can find no place where there was a
consensus to adopt it in the first place.  There are some positive
aspects to the policy, but that does not justify the kind of dishonest
policy games that leave people on at least two projects believing that
it was duly adopted on the other project in the hopes that no-one will
question the origin of the policy. I am seriously concerned about how
this policy has been applied on an English admin request, and I am even
more concerned about the way in which policies in general are adopted.

>The whole philosophical/political debate over whether or not someone
>making an edit to a policy page changes the policies of the
>encyclopedia (perhaps after some period of a lack of objection) is
>somewhat interesting to me, but I don't foresee much in the way of
>consensus over *that* issue.  Personally I'd advocate to
>[[Wikipedia:Follow consensus, not policy]].

The entire policy adoption process is remarkably fucked up. It favours
the policy wonks with private agendas who have the time and tenacity to
ensure that their favorite views will prevail.  The corpus of our
policies (including guidlines and other pseudo policies) is so huge that
it becomes easy for anyone to plant a policy virus whose infective
nature will not be noticed until much later.  At that point the
supporters of a change can offer nothing but a glib response to the
effect that you should have said something about it earlier, because now
that it has been here so long it can only be changed if a consensusto
change  is first achieved.  If it can then be transferred to meta ...

I do not advocate that the Foundation should be generally writing up
rules for the projects, except in a very few limited areas.  But a
consequence of that must be that the projects accept more responsibility
for what is happening.

Ec