[WikiEN-l] Trojan admins, is it a real problem?

Ron Ritzman ritzman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 01:59:14 UTC 2007

On 6/15/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Trojan admin accounts can do a lot of damage. They can view and copy
> deleted material; unblock abusive users; unprotect pages that would be
> better left protected; cause endless arguments on AN/I by questioning
> other admins; log and hand out conversations on the admins' channel,
> and doubtless other things I haven't thought of.

With all the talk about this "trojan admin" business, this question
has to be asked. Is there any evidence that this is actually happening
or has happened? Have any trojan admin accounts been desysopped and
blocked? I don't believe that a few idiots bragging about doing this
off wiki is real evidence BTW. It's more likely the bragging is either
to impress other trolls and/or to get us all paranoid about it.

And multiple accounts? A disruptor would have a hard enough time
getting one account through all the RFA hoops. However if this really
is happening/will happen then it is a serious problem which is why I
like the idea of admins identifying themselves to the foundation like
checkusers do. Sure it's possible for a troublemaker to get around
that too but it would raise the bar for that kind of lamage.