[WikiEN-l] Admins shouldn't shoot back

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 20:38:16 UTC 2007

On 6/17/07, Slim Virgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/17/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > If his/her "instinctive thing" when asked a question by a fellow admin
> > > is to "shoot back," s/he ought not be an admin. Whichever way you look
> > > at it, the response was not good, and quite a few people opposed on
> > > that basis alone.
> > >

> > I'll save this one for requoting in the future.  Admins do shoot back,
> > all of the time, they escalate things, the dance around direct
> > questions leading to needless chatter.
>
> When someone shoots back during their RfA, when you can expect them to
> be on their best behavior, then it's a big problem.
> >
> > I thought it was just a mop and bucket, and no big deal, not a
> > requirement for perfection.
>
> It *is* a big deal. Admins can cause a lot of problems, and can solve
> problems too. The no-big-deal attitude is very harmful.

I'll save that one for quoting, too, next time someone says it is no
big deal or calls it just janitorial work.

Admins can and do cause problems, and they can, especially when using
admin tools that plain jane and john editors don't have access to,
cause problems that lead to no end of discussion.  Especially when
admins seem to be misusing tools for other than their intended
purpose.

I agree, it is a big deal, but carry it to shooting going on in either
direction on an RfA.

KP