[WikiEN-l] Elimination of unreferenced articles drive?

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 17:33:54 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Matthew Brown wrote:
>

>> On 6/16/07, Jossi Fresco <jossifresco at mac.com> wrote:
>>

>>> A Wikiproject to "eliminate unreferenced articles"?
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Unreferenced_articles
>>>
>>> This seems a bit excessive.
>>>

>> Well, it depends how that elimination is being done - by adding
>> references is quite OK, for instance.  By nominating for deletion
>> things that no references can be found for after an exhausting search
>> is also OK in my book.
>>

> Experience shows that the "exhausting search" is not always there.
> Sometimes there is no search before nomination; perhaps a nomination
> should show evidence that some searchging has happened.
>
> Ec

Actually, an article saying "the sky is blue" is inaccurate, or at least
incomplete. The sky can be blue, or grey, black with tiny spots of
light, completely black, orange, purple, white...Of course, if you've
put in a good source, I can go look at your source and find all that. If
you haven't, I don't even have a way to verify what you said. (Nor would
any remotely useful article consist solely of "the sky is blue".)

In practice, unsourced articles are likely to be challenged (by being
nominated for deletion), and that practice is becoming more common. It's
a bit unusual to see someone say on the one hand "People challenge
(nominate for deletion) unsourced articles way too often!" and on the
other "Well, see, those don't require sources, they're not likely to be
challenged."