[WikiEN-l] Jayjg: Abusing CheckUser for political ends?

elisabeth bauer eflebeth at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 17 15:57:33 UTC 2007

2007/6/17, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com>:
> On 6/17/07, elisabeth bauer <eflebeth at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > That it would be already a violation of policy to '''use''' proxies or
> > anonymizers is a fairly new interpretation of the original descriptive
> > policy "open proxies may be blocked at any time" and I am not sure
> > that it is a valid one.
>
> The WP:NOP policy has, since its inception, banned open proxies from
> editing Wikipedia, regardless of the specific wording.

Open proxies, yes. But it never tried to extra punish users for the
use of open proxies or anonymizers (apart from the collateral damage
when a vandal using the same IP was blocked). Until recently it even
tried to help innocent users affected by such a block (i.e.
recommending chinese tor users to ask for a soft block). From giving
up this for practical reasons toward punishing and blocking good users
deliberately for using anonymizers is quite a large step and one that
is not covered by wikimedia wide consensus.

greetings,
elian