[WikiEN-l] Question for Jay and Slim: Checking EXISTING admins for open proxy use

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 15:34:17 UTC 2007

On 6/18/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/06/07, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
> > We do not engage, as an organization, in the harassment of valued contributors. Thus whether administrators are using open proxies is not an appropriate subject for investigation. In addition, the focus of attention on Jayjg and Slim Virgin is wholly inappropriate. If they have overstepped with respect to this issue, they can be depended on to adjust their behavior.
>
> Confirming that someone isn't breaking the rules isn't harassment - it
> doesn't affect the user at all (unless they actually are breaking the
> rules, in which case them being a valued contributor isn't a good
> excuse).

That happens by way of CheckUser though, and there wouldn't be grounds
to run CheckUsers on all admin accounts. Don't forget that whatever
you think of the disclosure, CharlotteWebb's use of Tor was discovered
incidentally when the username kept appearing in checks of other
accounts who turned out to be using Tor.

I for one wouldn't mind anyone CheckUsering me to check for open proxy
use, but I doubt you'll get everyone to agree.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com