[WikiEN-l] Elimination of unreferenced articles drive?

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Jun 17 04:28:35 UTC 2007

G'day Jossi,

> A Wikiproject to "eliminate unreferenced articles"?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Unreferenced_articles
>
> This seems a bit excessive.
>
> Thoughts?

There are three ways to deal with the problem of unreferenced articles:

1) Find references
3) Adopt an eventualist approach

The order of approach should be '1', then '3', then '2'.

If we come across an unreferenced article and we want it fixed, damn it,
then the Right Thing to do, firstly, is to go looking to see if we can
find reliable sources that verify what the article says.  If we find
reliable sources, then we add them to the article, and remove anything
that contradicts those sources.

If we don't find reliable sources, say: Does this article need reliable
sources RIGHT NOW?  (e.g. BLP)  If so, move on to delete.  If not: Is
this article ever likely to get reliable sources?  (Systemic bias vs
notability)  If not, move on to delete.  Otherwise, adopt an eventualist
approach, i.e. we have bigger problems to fix.

Finally, "delete" should be fairly clear, although I note there's quite
a few people on AfD who don't know what they're doing.  Sigh.

Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher
"'Yes, sir,' said Jeeves in a low, cold voice, as if he had been bitten